Join Us for the 2017 Homeless Outreach Population Estimate (HOPE) Count!
UPDATE: Due to a forecasted storm, the city has postponed this event to Monday, February 6, 10 PM - 4 AM
Each year, the NYC Department of Homeless Services (DHS) conducts an overnight point-in-time census count of homeless individuals in public spaces across all five boroughs in order to ensure proper allocation of resources and services. This massive effort takes more than 3,000 volunteers in a single night—but if areas are understaffed, they may end up undercounted, and underrepresented in services.
NYC DHS has asked us to help staff locations that have been previously understaffed and that don’t yet have enough volunteers signed up. Volunteers will meet at these locations at 10 pm, receive training by DHS staff, and at approximately midnight go out on the streets in teams of 3-5 (with a police escort in some areas) with census forms that ask individuals about their housing status, their veteran status, and other information needed to provide adequate services. Any homeless individuals encountered who consent to services will be referred to DHS staff.
Volunteers are key to providing our city's government with the most accurate information possible, and this is an important way to help our city provide the services we expect of it.
Join our Coalition of Veterans and Volunteers to help staff these two underserved locations! We'll be joined by members of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America and other organizations serving veterans as well.
Just follow these steps:
1. Go to the NYC DHS HOPE Registration website
2. Complete the DHS registration form and type in NYC VETERANS ALLIANCE as our "group name"
3. UPDATE: We will have teams at both High School for Law and Community Service (500 E. Fordham Rd, Bronx) and PS 257 John Hylan (60 Cook St, Bushwick, Brooklyn) -- but thanks to our volunteers, the Bronx location is full! PLEASE SIGN UP FOR PS 257 and meet us in Bushwick!
4. Email Caitlin at email@example.com to let us know to expect you! We'll put you in touch with your team captain, let you know where we'll meet for coffee between 9pm and 10pm before the event starts, and more.
5. Wear your NYC Veterans Alliance, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, or other Veteran apparel (along with other warm clothes!) the night of the HOPE Count.
Remember to let us know you've registered for one of these two locations--this is our only way of knowing you'll be part of our Veterans Coalition team!
Thanks and see you on February 6th!