Join outings leader Aaron Leonard on March 28 – April 1 as Sierra Club Military Outdoors explores Harriman State Park, a 47,000-acre park accessible by bus and train from NYC. This is a RECON outing for the Backpacking from NYC series.
The purpose of this outing is to RECON trails and campsites for the upcoming series of camping trips for 2019. A full outing description with packing list will be provided upon your selection to attend. Backpacking gear is available for loan at no cost and food is provided.
The Backpacking from NYC series of outings are designed as low mileage, easy to moderate in difficulty backpacking trips perfect for beginners but also fun for experienced hikers. We will show you how to access Harriman State Park using public transportation and teach:
• How to keep your pack weight low
• Choosing the right shoes, clothing, and gear so you don’t waste $$
• How to properly fit and pack a backpack
• Navigating to and selecting camp sites
• Pitching your tent so you can stay warm, dry, and comfortable
• Running a backcountry kitchen to create awesome meals in the woods
• Finding and purifying water
To join the outing, or to learn how you can become a volunteer outings leader with the Sierra Club, contact Veteran Outdoors Representative Aaron Leonard, USA (Ret) at [email protected] or at 512-961-0754.