Old and Bold: Services for All is a campaign launched by SAGE to ensure that LGBTQ+ and HIV-positive older people nationwide are able to access welcoming aging services and support regardless of where they live.
Did you know?
- LGBTQ+ elders are 2x more likely to live alone and 4x less likely to have children than their heterosexual, cisgender peers. This makes it more difficult to age successfully in their homes and communities.
- A national survey in 2015 reported that 65% of older transgender respondents felt that they would have limited access to care as they age, and 55% feared that they would be denied medical treatment.
- 70% of LGBTQ+ older people fear having to “re-closet” themselves when seeking elder housing.
- 53% of LGBTQ+ elders report feeling isolated from others.
- 41% of LGBTQ+ older people report having a disability, compared to 35% of heterosexual older people.
- 50% of all Americans living with HIV are over 50 years old.
The goal is to build a world where LGBTQ+ people can age with dignity and respect. A world where without fear, they can access services like meal assistance, senior center programs, health and wellness promotions, caregiver support, benefits enrollment, transportation, or any other aging service.
SAGE USA, SAGE Serves & SAGE Vets
SAGE is the country’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of LGBTQ+ older people. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization that offers supportive services and consumer resources to LGBTQ+ older people and their caregivers.
SAGE Serves creates ever-growing opportunities to serve our community’s older people and support their unique needs. We do this through direct services at our five SAGE Centers and care management programs in New York City, programs designed to support LGBTQ+ elders across New York State, and programs designed for LGBTQ+ elders in Southern Florida.
SAGE Vets is a statewide program to help LGBTQ+ Veterans in New York State who are age 50 and older improve their access to the VA and other Veteran services, as well as support their overall health and wellness.