From the VA:
Caregivers and Veterans, we’ve recently learned of a potential scam about a VA Caregiver Stipend Recoupment. Please do not respond to such requests, as VA will not email you a request for money.
If you receive a suspicious email from the Department of Veterans Affairs, DO NOT open the email or click on any attachments or links. VA does not send emails asking for personal information, threatening emails, or emails claiming to take adverse actions on claimants or beneficiaries (jail or lawsuits). If you receive any of these emails or are in doubt about any communications appearing to be from VA, please contact VA directly at 1 (800) 827-1000.
Protect yourself against potential scams with these tips:
- Do not provide personal, benefits, medical or financial details online or over the phone. Federal agencies will not contact you unless you make a request.
- Do not click on online ads or engage with social media that seem suspicious.
- Check for https:// at the start of website addresses.
- Enable multi-factor authentication on all accounts.
- Work with Veteran service providers you already know.