Military Officers Association of America offers Strategic Money Matters on July 14, 9-11am (EST).
While most base-level financial programs focus on tactical issues (family budgets, credit ratings, loans/debts, savings, and cash flow, for example), this class focuses on strategic money management: Wealth creation, investments, investment concepts, and strategies.
Based on experience and feedback, MOAA audiences asked for more education in these areas. This class will help participants understand:
- The Thrift Saving Plan (TSP). What it is. How it works. Why participate. What the investment options are, what they mean, and how to use each one.
- How to build wealth. Types of accounts. Tax issues. Setting target amounts for retirement. Planning for retirement.
- Investment risks. What are the risks, and how do investors manage risks to build wealth.
- The difference between ownership and savings in building wealth.
- How humans are not hardwired to manage money because we are driven by our emotions - and how we can fight these tendencies.
- How we are taught the wrong investment mindset by the financial media and financial service industries. Break down the myths to provide understandable, proven, and usable knowledge.
Your instructor, Lt. Col. Shane Ostrom, USAF (Ret), worked in the investment business and, as a Certified Financial Planner, provides honest, unbiased, information without sales pitches or catches. MOAA is not a financial service firm; there are no products and no clients. They provide unbiased, trustworthy financial and consumer education from certified financial instructors experienced in the financial industry.