Discharge Upgrade Online Tool

The Department of Defense launched a web-based tool to provide customized guidance to veterans who desire to upgrade or change the conditions of their military discharge. By answering a few short questions, veterans will know which board they need to go to, what form to fill out, any special guidance applicable to their case, where to send their application, and some helpful tips for appealing their discharge. Any veterans who believe their discharge was unjust, erroneous, or warrants an upgrade are encouraged to use this tool and then apply for review. 

This tool can be found on Vets.gov at: https://www.vets.gov/discharge-upgrade-instructions. The link is also available on Military OneSource (http://www.militaryonesource.mil/) and each of the review board’s websites (listed below).

The DoD issued special guidance in 2011 for veterans discharged under “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” or its predecessor policies. Also, the Department issued guidance related to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and traumatic brain injury (TBI) in 2014. Most recently, in February 2016, the Department redoubled its efforts to ensure veterans received the benefit of the latest guidance, and statutes of limitations were liberally waived in such cases.  Subsequently, in December 2016, the Department launched an internal review of its policies and procedures. That review disclosed some gaps and confusion in the previous guidance.  In August 2017, the Department issued significant guidance clarifying how review boards will consider cases involving mental health conditions, including PTSD, TBI, sexual assault, or sexual harassment.

For information on a specific board, contact the board directly or through its website at: 

Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records

Website: http://www.afpc.af.mil/Career-Management/Board-for-Correction-of-Military-Records/

Phone: 240-612-5379 

E-mail: [email protected]

Air Force Discharge Review Board: 

Website: http://www.afpc.af.mil/Separation/Discharge-Review-Board/

Phone: 240-612-0995 

E-mail: [email protected]

Army Board for Correction of Military Records: 

Website: http://arba.army.pentagon.mil/ 

E-mail: [email protected]

Army Discharge Review Board:  

Website: http://arba.army.pentagon.mil

E-mail: [email protected] 

Navy Board for Correction of Naval Records:  

Website: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/mra/bcnr/Pages/home.aspx 

Phone: 703-607-6111 

E-mail: [email protected] 

Navy Discharge Review Board: 

Website: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/mra/CORB/Pages/NDRB/default.aspx 

Phone: 202-685-6600 

E-mail: [email protected]

To submit feedback on related Department policies or processes, Send an e-mail to [email protected], or mail your feedback to Office of Legal Policy at:

Office of Legal Policy
Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel & Readiness)
4000 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-4000

Get Help Bulletin Board